BEETROOT & CHOCOLATE LOAF CAKE
GLUTEN FREE, EGG FREE, DAIRY FREE
© Janice Weir-Germia (September 2010)
8 oz Gluten free flour
1 large cap Vanilla Essence (Jamaican brand)
1 ½ Tsp Baking Powder
4oz Soft Brown Sugar
150 ml milk (soya or oat milk)
4 oz Raw Beetroot grated in processor
2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
¾ Cup Coconut Milk
12 oz Vegan Chocolate Chips (or add 4 oz more for rich chocolatey taste!)
Preparing the Culinary Delight:
- Pre-heat oven to 180oC prior to starting to ensure oven is hot when cake placed in the oven
- Smooth Margarine and Sugar using electric whisk
- Slowly mix in milk with a wooden spoon (it will be curdly and runny but that’s ok)
- In a separate bowl blend flour and baking powder
- Add flour blend bit by bit to margarine, sugar and milk with the electric whisk on low speed.
- Grate the beetroot with a processor and place straight into the final cake mix and blend at high speed to fluff the mixture and incorporate air.
- Batter must be slightly stiff as beetroot has a lot of water when cooking it will soften throughout cooking.
- Prepare the melted chocolate to swirl into the cake batter: Place a pan with ½ pint of water on to heat but not boil. Place a stainless steel bowl on top of the pan but not touching the water.
- Pour in Coconut milk and Coconut oil and heat together stirring continuously until warm.
- Add the vegan chocolate chips and continue to cook whilst stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until the chips are melted completely and the mixture is smooth.
- Slowly, pour in the smooth vegan chocolate mixture and use the Figure 8 method of mixing the batter to create a smooth blend.
- To incorporate some air, just whisk now with the hand whisk on high speed for about 2 minutes or until fluffy.
- Slowly pour the mixture into a loaf tin which has grease proof paper (the loaf cases used for bread making or greased tin)
- Oven temperature must remain @ 180oC for 38 – 40 mins without opening the oven door.
- Remove the cake from the oven, test that a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake (return to the oven for 5 mins if it hasn’t)
- Now leave to cool for up to 2 hours before cutting or removing from tin. (This will allow the cake to set)
- You can smother with vegan chocolate ganache found in our cookbook. It is so gorgeous!
Or simply make them into little cupcakes or MUG Cakes like Chef J did for a Vegan Cake Judging Demo